Alcañizo


Bridge

Lavadero Camino de Oropesa

Information about Alcañizo:

Telephone: 925 431 026

Email Ayuntamiento: alcanizo@munitoledo.es

The toponym of Alcañizo is mentioned as early as 1271 in a document of King Alfonso X, to give its name to a stream covered with reeds, on the banks of which, in time, houses were built. They were the origin of the Alcañizo dehesa, one of the many dehesas that characterise this region, known as Campo del Arañuelo.

The main activities in Alcañizo have always been dry farming and stockbreeding; a cattle track of the Mesta crosses the municipality. It is a magnificent proposal to enjoy the nature of these lands in the province of Toledo and to stay in one of its rural establishments.

In Alcañizo we find its small parish church dedicated to the apostle St. James with an airy porch on Doric columns and its streets dotted with small houses with white facades and with several washing places, such as the Fuente and the one on the road to Oropesa. On the stream of the same name that crosses the town there is a bridge that dates back to 1760.

Tourist Information

Find out more

What to see?

Parish Church of Santiago Apóstol (XVI c.)

The parish church of Santiago Apostle consists of a single nave with a 16th century polygonal apse. Also noteworthy is its agallonada baptismal font.


Hermitage of Ntra. Sra. del Rosario

Bridge (17th c.)

The bridge over the Alcañizo stream is a skewed bridge made up of three spans of different sizes. It was built in the 18th century. over a previous one.