Church of Santo Domingo Guzmán

Plaza Ayuntamiento

Thumb Information:

Telephone: 925 292 291
Web: https://www.ayuntamientopulgar.es/
Email: pulgar@local.jccm.es

Its exact origin is not known, although one possibility is that it may have been built in the mid-12th century by the first settlers here. In this century it was a farmhouse located in the sisla of Toledo.

In 1214 Henry I donated this town to the Cathedral of Toledo and its archbishop Rodrigo Jiménez de Rada, with all its terms and rights so that it could serve as a second line in the defence of the Castilian border. In 1243, Ferdinand III received, in exchange for Baeza and Añover, Pulgar, among others, from the Archbishop of Toledo in 1243. The village thus went from being a place of ecclesiastical lordship to a royal estate, although not for long, as in 1246 the Holy King sold the Montes to the city of Toledo, with the result that this village suffered the same fate as the other villages in the Montes. From then on it will be subject to the lordship of Toledo and its town council governed by the judge of Los Montes. In the second half of the 15th century, the city council of Toledo, in need of funds, tried to levy taxes, which Pulgar refused, and so it was necessary to reach an agreement, dated 15th April 1483, to settle the dispute.

Pulgar sits in a valley crossed by three small streams that carry their scarce water to the Guajaraz stream, a tributary of the Tagus. This, together with the native fauna and flora of the area, means that the municipality offers beautiful landscapes and recreational areas that allow tourists to enjoy nature in its purest form.

A stroll through the streets of the municipality offers the charms of a small village in the plain of the mountains. Its most outstanding feature is the parish church of Santo Domingo Guzmán, built on the remains of what must have been a medieval tower or fortress, which was used in the 13th century to defend the road to Córdoba.

It should be noted that Pulgar offers visitors the chance to buy a wide variety of handmade products such as sausages, sheep's cheese, olive oil, wine and typical sweets such as mantecados, perronillas and tea biscuits. You can also taste the Castilian-La Mancha dishes, the vast majority of which are linked to big and small game.

Tourist Information

Find out more

What to see?

Hermitage of La Soledad

It is a 16th century building with a rectangular floor plan and a nave, with a three-sided apse of lower height than the rest. The masonry is masonry with brick courses and corner ashlars. It is reinforced with three buttresses on the south façade, none on the north façade. The apse is made of ashlar, topped with a moulded cornice. The façade has a simple belfry with a bell and a cross crowning it.

Bridge of Ajofrín

Medieval bridge of unknown antiquity, thought to date from the 14th century; it must have been built on the same site as another Roman bridge. With two semicircular arches between which are inserted triangular-shaped cutwaters, it still has a pavement of large slabs and a profile of vertical granite slabs.

Church of Santo Domingo de Guzmán

A simple observation is enough to realise that the church is built on the remains of what must have been a medieval tower or fortress. This temple, which may have been built in the 13th century , it has a total surface area of 700 m2, distributed in a single central nave with a barrel vault and side naves that act as chapels. The largest of these chapels is dedicated to the patron saint of the town, Saint Dominic. The main altar is located in the apse, and has an altarpiece in Renaissance style from the 15th century, which is anonymous. At the foot of the central nave rises the rectangular choir with a turned wooden balustrade. In the sacristy, three large sealed stones marked the entrance to the possible dungeon of the castle. It is said that from here, as in every fortress when it was besieged by the enemy, a passageway that the castle must have had to escape the siege, and which led to what is today the town square.

Cerro "Sierra de Pulgar"

Located to the west of the village, it borders the municipality of Noez. Red and yellowish-brown soils on a slate base and reddish-brown soils on limestones that are not very thick with abundant gravel and quartzite pebbles. There is a path, flanked by pine trees from the reforestation that has been carried out, which takes us to the middle of the slope and ends in a beautiful viewpoint. From here we can see, always towards the south, spectacular images of Pulgar and its landscape up to the horizon line that connects with the outline of the nearby Toledo mountains.