Ugena


Town hall

Church

Information about Ugena:

Telephone: 925 533 063
Web: https://www.ugena.es/edificios-interes-turistico/
Info:
Email: atencionalciudadano@ugena.es

Celtiberian peoples populated its territory but it was during the Christian Reconquest that this locality began to emerge as a small village next to the hamlet of Torrejoncillo de los Higos. Both small population centres coexisted until the 17th century, when Torrejoncillo was abandoned, giving prominence to the urban centre of Ugena, which began to shape its urban fabric. Its period of greatest splendour is the 18th century with the construction of its hermitage and the palace of the Counts of Ugena, the remains of which are inserted in the current town hall, a building of contemporary architecture that simulates the original palace of the Counts. A stroll through its streets is a reminder of this historic past, which preserves its rural and traditional village flavour with its popular architecture mixed with contemporary architecture.

Its soils are characteristic for the nature of its soil, light, loose and less clayey. It is located in the sub-region of Las Arenas, on the border between the provinces of Toledo and Madrid. Apart from cereals, this sandy soil encourages a series of horticultural crops, fed in the past with water from the wells drawn by waterwheels, and in the present day, with deeper water catchments. The orchards are joined by vineyards, fruit trees, fig trees and olive groves. Its municipal area extends over a high plain, flat and cold, a territory furrowed by different paths that allow the visitor to enjoy pleasant and easy walks or bicycle rides.

Tourist Information

Find out more

What to see?

Parish Church of San Juan Bautista


Hermitage of Ntra. Sra. de la Portería

The hermitage of Nuestra Señora de la Portería was the old chapel of the palace complex of the Counts of Ugena, which is exempt from the building dedicated to the Immaculate Conception under the title of La Portería. It was built by the Dukes of Nájera, former lords of Ugena, in 1728, and endowed with a real and a half per day for the sacristan in charge of its maintenance by the Marquises of Ugena, Don Juan de Goyeneche and his wife Doña Isabel de la Cruz Haedo.


New town hall

At present, the new town hall is located in the old ruins of the palace-house, and the town hall is built with the same shape and dimensions as the palace used to occupy. The house-palace was of a single storey, with a wide door of good construction and with the coat of arms of the owners, flanked by two towers covered with capitals, and in one of them a clock. It was surrounded by trees, gardens with a fountain and a large olive grove nearby. It was rebuilt in 1857 and was often the resting place of a large part of the Spanish court in the 18th century. The property passed through several aristocrats before ending up in the hands of a farmer, who used it as a stable and hayloft, who ended up demolishing it to make use of its materials. Despite the city council's campaign to prevent its destruction, the minister authorised its demolition by order of 27 November 1920.